Eve's Paintings & Prints

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Depth Perception, 4-23-13


While gazing at Orion's belt in the night sky, my knowledgeable friend commented "you know, Orion only looks like Orion from here, if you were on Sirius or something, it wouldn't look like that." Indeed, that is correct. On Sirius, Orion might not even be noticed as anything special or beautiful or even noteworthy at all.

While taking pictures at an event, my friend said "wait, I like my pictures taken a very specific way, and I am the only one who can do it right." We all believe we are in control of how our images are perceived by others, but indeed, we cannot know.

While writing another blog, I was looking for an image where half of a person's face was drooping and the other half was normal. I ended up with many photos of people I knew, such as celebrities, and I know that my face isn't symmetrical either. Each side is completely different, but only from my perspective, probably. I am aware that I look completely different almost every time I look at myself. If it isn't a good reflection, I ask myself, "who is looking through my eyes? It couldn't be me, because I wouldn't make negative judgments about myself like that."

What are we trying to establish here? That what you see isn't real, and what you see in other people does not always have to be a clue as to how they are flawed or beneficial. It means nothing. We are all sensitive to one degree or another regarding the qualities of anomaly in another person.

No wonder I'm more and more comfortable with online interaction with others than face to face. The visible representation of someone sometimes distracts from their true vibration, intention and communication value.

Perception, whether it be beauty or repulsion, is subjective.* Enough said, when you read the definition of subjective below.


sub·jec·tive (sb-jktv)adj.1.a. Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.
b. Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.
2. Moodily introspective.
3. Existing only in the mind; illusory.
4. Psychology Existing only within the experiencer's mind.
5. Medicine Of, relating to, or designating a symptom or condition perceived by the patient and not by the examiner.
6. Expressing or bringing into prominence the individuality of the artist or author.
7. Grammar Relating to or being the nominative case.
8. Relating to the real nature of something; essential.

Respectfully and introspectfully submitted for your review,
-Eve Featherstone

No comments:

Post a Comment